The name “Transcona” is an amalgam of Transcontinental and Strathcona.
Located in the center of the country, it was where Canada’s second railway housed its maintenance shops, in order to service east and west.
It was built by the Grand Trunk Pacific and the National Transcontinental Railway. The project began in 1908.
Transcona became an official town in 1912.
Transcona became a suburb of Winnipeg in 1972.
Although not involved in the project, Lord Strathcona was heavily involved in building the first railway, the CPR. He drove the last spike into the rails in 1885.
Pics taken by Resa – October 26, 2016